Dynamic Power Sharing (DPS) is a smart feature that continuously monitors your building’s energy demands and intelligently manages power distribution to Wallbox chargers. This guide will walk you through enabling DPS, ensuring you get the most out of your charging infrastructure while maintaining energy efficiency.
How does it work?
Dynamic Power Sharing (DPS) is a technology that keeps a close watch on your building’s energy needs. It compares the energy demand to the maximum allowable value. When the demand is lower than the maximum, DPS efficiently directs the surplus power to your charging network. However, if the building’s demand equals or exceeds its maximum limit, no additional energy is supplied to the charging stations. This ensures optimal power utilization without overloading the electrical system.
One of the key advantages of DPS is its ability to make the most of periods when your building’s energy demands are minimal. During these times, DPS can supply power to the charging network without increasing the overall power consumption. This smart approach lets you charge your electric vehicles effectively while maintaining energy efficiency.
1. Installation requirements
Before you can enjoy the benefits of Dynamic Power Sharing, you must have and install a compatible power meter. Choose the energy meter that is compatible with your electrical network, you can find compatible meters in the Wallbox catalogue.
2. Enabling Dynamic Power Sharing
When your charger and its power meter are correctly installed following the instructions in their respective Installation Guides, you can enable and set up Dynamic Power Sharing with the myWallbox app. Follow these steps to enable Dynamic Power Sharing for your Wallbox charger:
Step 1: Connect your app to your charger
- Before you begin, ensure your Wallbox charger and myWallbox app run the latest versions.
- Open the myWallbox app and log in using your credentials. You can easily register within the app if you don’t have an account yet.
- Select your charger and ensure your smartphone remains within Bluetooth range throughout the configuration process. If your charger isn’t linked to your myWallbox account, follow these instructions.
- If it’s the first time you’re connecting your charger to the myWallbox app, establish a Bluetooth connection. If you’ve already done this, wait until the Bluetooth connection is established.
Step 2: Setting up Dynamic Power Sharing
Once your charger and myWallbox app are synchronized, follow these steps:
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Click on “Upgrades.”
- Select the “Power Sharing” icon.
Step 3: Customise Settings
- Specify the number of chargers on your installation.
- Define the “Building breaker max. current”, corresponding to the maximum current per phase for both the Power Sharing network + the building.
- Define the “Minimum current per charger” (in amps) each charger will operate.
- Turn on Dynamic Power Sharing.
- Click “Save” and confirm that the status “Primary charger with all secondary chargers paired” appears.
Dynamic Power Sharing is now configured and activated for your charger(s).
In case the Dynamic Power Sharing icon is not selectable, follow these steps:
- Power off and on your charger.
- Check all cables for correct installation.
- Ensure the cable type is correct.
- Confirm that the switch is correctly set to “T” or “NT.”
- Verify that your charger’s firmware is up to date.
- Ensure that the app is connected to the charger via Bluetooth.